Rudolf Steiner House, London
Located on Park Road, this building is the headquarters of the Anthroposophical Society in GB. Constructed in phases between 1924 and 1937, it was designed by Montegue Wheeler. Wheeler was influenced by the philosophy and architectural work of Rudolf Steiner (1861 – 1925), whose major building, the Goetheanum in Dornach, is a Swiss national monument and one of the world’s first examples of the use of sculptural concrete. Due to its complex history Steiner House suffered from lack of a space, specific to refreshments, so in the first phase of our interventions in 2007 we created a café in a redundant courtyard adjacent to the entrance foyer. In contrast to the heavy brick and concrete of the original grade II listed building, the roof is an off-site fabricated timber structure made by Cowley Structural Timberworks.
Design Team: Nic Pople, Serena Evans with Helen Springthorpe
Structural Engineers: Corbett & Tasker
Contractor: ITC Concepts